Wednesday 29 June 2011

Wednesday Wonderfuls #24

Hello there and a very happy Wednesday to you all!

Firstly I want to say a huge thank you for all your lovely comments on my completed Shirt to Skirt Challenge, it's always lovely when something you've taken a lot of time and care over gets such a positive response, so thank you! You all made my day! :)

Another thing that has been making me very happy recently is something I've neglected for a while now: reading! Now I read a lot, I couldn't get by without reading, but recently my reading seems to have been restricted to blogs and magazines and that just wasn't enough for me, so I decided to invest in some good old fashioned reading material: yummy books! 

Check out my spoils:

Two novels and two biographies

Gorgeous fashion books

EVERYONE should read this book

I would like to draw particularly attention to "To Die For" by Lucy Siegle. I had spotted this book a couple of times in the fashion section of several book shops, but it was this review from Penny Dreadful Vintage that convinced me to buy it, and boy am I glad that I did! I really think that it's important that the fashion conscious woman should read this book, it will change the way you buy clothes forever. I can't put it down, so I'm sure I'll be writing a whole post dedicated to it as soon as I've finished it. For now I can only say read it and you'll see what I mean!

Anyways, there have been lots of great things to read on the blogosphere this week, so without further ado here are my personal favourites, enjoy!

  • Once again we have a fabulous tutorial from Gertie, this time about how to make a shirred back dress, its brilliant! Check out Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 here.
  • Did you know it was national pink day this week? Crafty Minx has put together a great collection of pictures in it's honour, amazing if you like all things girlie :)
  • I just had to share with you this post by Boo Boo Kitty Couture about one of her favourite vintage shops The Girl Can't Help It. It is situated in Alfie's Antiques market and looks well worth a look or twelve!
  • I love ginger beer (I have recently started a love affair with Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer, it's heaven in a glass!) so if, like me, you've every thought about making your own you'll get excited about this recipe from Joy the Baker. ginger beer for all, hurrah!
  • This post from Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage about the changing shape of decolletage in fashion is a very interesting read. I'm always fascinated at how the desirable body shape has changed so much over the decades. Plus this post gets points for using the word decolletage which really should be used more in day to day speech.
  • Tasia at Sewaholic has released her newest pattern: the Lonsdale Dress. I think this dress would be perfect for summer, and like all Tasia's patterns the details are lovely - I think the bow on the back of this pattern is too cute!
  • And finally we have a tutorial from the lovely Casey about making shaped pockets. You just have to see how beautifully she has made these pockets on her own skirt to be chomping at the bit to try this technique yourself!

That's it from the wonderfuls and me today. I hope you're all having a great week filled with wonderfuls of your own and some great books to read. Are you reading something un-put-downable at the moment? I'd love to hear about it!


Bye for now :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...