Monday 9 April 2012

Stripey Summer Top (with boats and bunnies!)


Project: Stripey Criss-Cross Top
Stash Buster? yup :)
Items From Stash: both the fabric and the pattern have been in my stash for a while
Date Started: March 2012
Date Finished: April 2012
New Techniques Used: lace used for decorative hem
Wear Again? As soon as it's warm enough, yes!

Now you may have noticed from this blog that I love wearing dresses. I wear them most of the time because I love the fact that with a dress you basically have a complete outfit without any real effort :) However, I thought it was about time to get some more separates into my wardrobe and I have been wanting to give this top a try for a long time. You can probably see why, it's so cute!



This top is made from a 1950s pattern that had all kinds of different variations, but this one was by far the collect and most fun. The construction was a little bit challenging but also fascinating, can you believe that the whole front section (both the front panel and the crossing straps) is cut in one piece which is folded and sewn to give the crisscross effect? It truly is a brilliant pattern :) I'm also completely in love with the fabric which was a Birthday present to me last year, but I know it originally came from Ray Stitch, one of the best fabric shops I know. don't you think a whole dress in this fabric would just be too cute?! 


I paired the top with my new-to-me 1950s novelty print skirt, which I recently purchased from the Clerkenwell Vintage Fair (aren't the boats sweet?) together with one of my favourite Cassie Stephens belts (it is Easter-time so I thought the bunny was appropriate!). I just wish the weather was warm enough for me to wear this out properly, but alas I have to settle for prancing around my digs in it for now (hence the slightly dreary indoor photos, sorry!).


I hope you've all had a marvellous Easter weekend, do let me know what you think of this top :)

Katie xxx

13 comments:

Lynne Williams said...

Love the use of the stripes in this top.  Beautifully seamed...well done!!

jessieheninger said...

Very cute! I wish I could pull that off. Alas I will have to admire it on other people.

LinB said...

Gasp! One piece? The straps are obviously long and extended, to fold over your shoulders and then cross ... but are they topstitched onto the bodice front, or set in? Looks like the ends are enclosed in the princess seam on the side front. Did you have to fiddle the V at the top of bodice front piece? And, love love love that skirt -- so fresh and summery.

Mistress Catgirl said...

That  is an awesome blouse. It looks like you're ready for summer.

Marie said...

What a darling top, it's so adorable on you!

Sabrina said...

Love the look! It's so cute, with the nautical theme. And the top is awesome. I can't believe the front is one piece!

cassie stephens said...

Oh my!! I love this, it is stunning! You look beautiful in it. I am so impressed...great job, Katie!

Sufiya said...

Yes, another winner! (I just commented on the blue piped dress) The striped top with the blue skirt works surprisingly well! And looks so "retro", in the best way possible,  i.e  not "costumey", like a modern-day someone who is dressed for a 'theme event".

Lisa McIntyre said...

Love that top - so quirky and sweet.  And that fabric works perfectly for it.  Great outfit, all up!

Elise said...

Aah love this, looks amazing!  And your skirt is possibly one of the best things ever :)

Wendy Bayford said...

Simply FABULOUS!!! x

Charlotte Searles said...

Love this top!!!

Sassy T said...

That top is off the charts. Stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...